Today is a special day, as it marks World Water Day. Millions go without water every day and this day is a reminder about not only how lucky we are, but to remember to lend a helping hand to those in need. Celebrate with us as we look what this day truly means and how you can help!
World Water Day was first started in 1993, after a proposal was read at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development. Ever since then, activists and organizations have banned together to not only find a solution to the global water crisis, but to also recognize those who go without clean, safe water.
Here are just a few of the astonishing facts about the water crisis according to WaterDay.org and Water.org.
• One out of every eight people worldwide lacks safe drinking water.
• Two out of every five people lack adequate sanitation.
• Every 20 seconds, a child dies from a water-related illness.
• More people have a mobile phone than a toilet.
• Women spend 200 million hours a day collecting water.
Remember, in addition to today, any day of the year you can help those suffering from the water crisis.