June 13, 2012
Nothing says summer like fresh vegetables. Instead of making the same boring salad, change it up and create this Quinoa with Blood Orange and Basil dish from Family Fresh Cooking. Quinoa is gluten free, loaded with nutrients and minerals and has a great texture. This new-age salad will brighten up your summer, so get cooking!
Quinoa with Blood Orange and Basil
Makes about 8 half cup servings
1 cup dry Quinoa (prepare according to package directions)
Handful chopped fresh Basil + some for garnish
1/2 Lemon or 1 Tbs Lemon juice
Juice from 1/2 Navel Orange (any “orange” Orange) or a few tbs Orange Juice
Salt to taste
Chopped Green Onion (Scallions)
A few pinches of the following spices:
Ground Black Pepper
3 Blood Oranges: cut into small pieces with pith and seeds removed
Prepare quinoa according to package. Let it cool and toss with all of the above ingredients. Add the sliced blood orange last so they don’t break up too much when you combine. This is best served at room temperature or chilled.
1. Toasted nuts: Add some walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, almonds, etc.
2. Cheese: Top with Chevre (creamy goat cheese), Feta, good sliced Parmesan, Romano, Gruyere, etc.
3. Dried Fruit: Toss in some chopped dried Apricots, Cranberries, Cherries, etc.
4. Have a few ounces of quinoa with cheese or nuts for a mini meal.
5. Toss with mixed greens and some lean protein for a balanced salad.
6. Use as a bed under your favorite lean protein. Serve with a side of steamed veggies.
7. Use unseasoned quinoa for breakfast instead of oatmeal. Serve with any toppings you would put on your oats.
Photo Credit: Marla Meridith Photography
Marla Meridith is the creator, photographer, stylist and go to gal behind the blog Family Fresh Cooking. She believes in real, whole foods for a happy, healthy, high energy life. She is obsessed with her family, food, travel, and coffee. Look for her on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and StumbleUpon too.