October 9, 2013
This fall and winter, the Eco News Network team will share favorite recipes from family and friends with our readers. We hope you will enjoy them and that you’ll send us your family favorites to share by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
With apple-picking season in full swing and in recognition of October as National Apple Month, today Eco News Network features a simple apple salad recipe using farm fresh local apples, balsamic vinaigrette, and local greens. Pick a fresh, firm, meaty apple. If you don’t know which one that might be, ask. Most farm stands are knowledgeable and happy to make suggestions. Enjoy!
Farm Fresh Apple Salad
- 4 apples cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 small head of endive
- 2 large handfuls of mixed colorful local greens such as spinach or lettuce
- Approx. 8 oz of blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine the apples, greens, and blue cheese by tossing in a large salad bowl
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, and pepper together and add a touch of sea salt to taste
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss well.
- Serve immediately
Serves four but ingredient quantities can be increased for more people. Goes great with grilled organic chicken or organic pork tenderloin.
For more information on apples visit the U.S. Apple Association website.
Photo credits: Dwight Miller Orchards/Boston Organics, U.S. Apple Association