February 5, 2014
One of our very favorites on a snowy New England winter day is this White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe. Cook in a slow cooker for an extra easy meal or use a braising pot. Add more spice to taste including jalapeño pepper if you wish.
- 1 pound boneless free range, organic skinless chicken breasts cut into approx. 1″ cubes
- 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans of white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded organic sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Pinch red pepper flake
- Heat large skillet and brown chicken in oil
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is soft.
- Sprinkle mixture with Herbs de Provence, oregano and cumin and continue cooking until chicken is browned
- Transfer to a slow cooker or braising pot
- Divide the beans in half and mash half adding about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and stir until blended
- Add salt and pepper to the mix and blend
- Add mashed and whole beans and the remaining 21/2 cups of broth to the pot
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. If using a braising pot, place in oven to cook at 325 for approx. 3 hours. Check about halfway though and turn oven down if mixture is bubbling aggressively.
- Mix well after cooking is complete. Serve sprinkled with cheddar, cilantro, and red pepper flake to taste.
- Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons