February 16, 2015
To help you keep your home and your head, I asked my friends at FIT4MOM to join me in sharing our favorite health and wellness tips for busy moms trying to balance health, wellness, and life.
On Healthy Eating
Carol Chase, FIT4MOM Ann Arbor, Mother of Three
- Get your water (non-alcoholic fluids) in. Dehydration causes people to think they are hungry, when what their body is really “craving” is water.
- Plus, water makes you feel full so you aren’t taking in unnecessary calories. Dehydration also makes you feel tired. Performance, whether it is work or physical fitness, diminishes.
- Eat regularly, which includes snacking. The phenomena known as being “hangry” (angry because you are hungry) is a REAL thing!
- Try healthy snacks like cheese sticks, fruits, and nut packages. Be careful not to overindulge. Small portions are best.
On Food Planning & Prep
Jennifer Lungren, FIT4MOM Arlington-Alexandria, Mother of Four
- Set aside time to plan your meals for the week.
- Prep and cook veggies in advance.
- Make homemade bars and snacks for the kids to grab on the go.
- Creating time for meal planning and prep makes busy weeks much more manageable.
On Keeping Up a Fitness Routine
Kristy Clay, FIT4MOM Metro Phoenix, Mother of Two
- Sit down and plan your workouts. Make them appointments you don’t skip.
- Plan to meet friends at a class, hike, or run. Make your workouts social – getting in valuable friend time and built in accountability.
- Set aside time to fill yourself back up. You are no good to the people who need you if you are running on empty.
- Find out what fills you up and make it happen!
Yours Truly, Marie Stegner, Maid Brigade, Mother of Three
- Rethink clean. It’s okay that your house isn’t spotless and in complete order all of the time.
- Accept some of the mess in your home and spend time enjoying your life and your family.
- Fight guilt and feel good about what you can accomplish. When it comes to cleaning, sometimes “good enough” is just right.
- Clean smart by having everyday natural household cleaners on hand for quick cleanups and messy holiday spills. Focus on the critical areas of your home such as the kitchen, bathrooms, and main living area and let the rest slide a little.
No mom is ever going to be perfect – no matter how hard we try! Try out some of these health and wellness tips and celebrate your successes. Remember, as moms, we’re all in this together.
About Marie Stegner
Marie Stegner is a Long Island mother of three and the consumer health advocate and blogger for Maid Brigade — a green cleaning franchise with more than 400 locations in North America. A nationally recognized healthy living and green cleaning expert, Marie also serves as the co-host of “Clean Green Talk” on iHeart Radio.
FIT4MOM is the country’s largest fitness program for moms offering pre and post-natal fitness classes for every stage of motherhood. Its mission is to help women gain the strength for motherhood!