The Caribbean’s Idyllic, Historical and Eco-friendly Getaway
An idyllic paradise, the island of Nevis, has just 12,000 residents, no high rises, not even a stoplight. Instead, there’s roaming native green Vervet monkeys, swaying palm trees and unsurpassed natural beauty. Perfectly situated within this splendor is Nisbet Plantation Beach Club, the Caribbean’s only historic plantation inn located on the beach.
An intimate hideaway, where 36 cottages are scattered among 30 tropical acres, Nisbet Plantation is relaxing, romantic and has just enough lavishness and privacy.
The friendly staff welcomes guests like family and provides attentive service. Old-world charm blends with modern-day conveniences including complimentary Wi-Fi, Flip digital video cameras and hiker GPS units.
The resort has been successfully benchmarked and certified against the Green Globe 21 criteria by Green Globe International. Committed to protecting Nevis for many more generations, the resort’s environmental efforts include:
- Adding an electric scooter for guests to explore the island.
- Constructing an artificial reef providing a habitat for sea life, creating a calmer swimming area for guests and saving palm trees by preventing beach erosion. As a result, more than 15 feet of beach has reappeared.
- In celebration for each wedding held at the resort, the resort plants a coconut palm in the property’s Avenue of Palms in the couple’s name.
- Organizing an annual hands-on Earth Day beach cleanup.
- Water conservation and recycling.
- Energy conservation, using compact fluorescent light bulbs on the property and rechargeable electric candles in place of oil-fueled lanterns.
In 2011, Nisbet Plantation was named the No.1 hotel in the Caribbean and No.6 worldwide by Travel + Leisure.