Eco News Network presents our favorite eco-celeb of the week. Each week we will post an article on our favorite actor, actress, musician, etc. who is not only an exceptional artist, but someone who contributes greatly to the environment. We hope you enjoy! This week, we are changing it up and giving you a Thanksgiving inspired celebrity . . . the turkey! Here are some fun facts about Mother Earth’s beautiful creature thanks to Farm Sanctuary.
1. Turkeys express their feelings through color changes on their necks, faces and snoods (the flap of skin under the neck).
2. The bird’s snood turns to bright red when he is upset or during courtship.
3. Turkeys can learn specific details of an area of more than 1,000 acres. Seems like they have a great sense of direction!
4. The feathered creature can recognize his fellow species by their unique voices.
5. Did you know turkeys are not protected by the federal Humane Slaughter Act and are often killed without first being stunned?
6. Every year, more than 46 million turkeys are killed for Thanksgiving holiday dinners.
This year, if you want to save a life, then visit the Adopt-A-Turkey Project and see how you can prevent a turkey from being slaughtered this year and start a new tradition! We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.