May 24, 2012
Do you know what this weekend is? It’s not your average weekend, but one observed to honor men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. It’s none other than Memorial Day! The weekend is filled with remembrance, family get togethers and of course picnics and yummy food. To help you plan out your holiday weekend, we will be posting some healthy, vegan recipes all week long for you to transform your holiday.
Vegan Blackberry Pie
A holiday weekend isn’t complete without dessert. This Memorial Day try La Pure Mama’s vegan blackberry pie to satisfy your sweet tooth.
For the crust:
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold Earth Balance
5-6 Tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
4 cups fresh blackberries, washed well
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3-4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Stir well to combine then cut in Earth Balance until you have a coarse crumbly matter.
- Drizzle the first 2 Tablespoons ice water and stir to combine. From there, add ice water, 1 Tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling by combining blackberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Toss well to combine then sprinkle cornstarch in, stirring as you go to avoid lumps.
- When dough is ready, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut in half. Roll one half into a circular shape to about 1/8 to 1/16 thick. Lay into a pie dish and gently press into the edges of the dish. Cut excess and pinch to create decorative crimped edge.
- Gently cover edges of crust with thin strips of tin foil. Put in oven and bake about 8 minutes, until pie crust is lightly golden. Remove tin foil and bake another 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll out the rest of your dough, again about 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick. Cut dough into even strips for topping.
- Pull pie crust from oven and add filling to crust. Gently lay dough strips on top in a criss-cross, or other design. Trim edges and gently press into existing edge.
- Return to oven and bake for 30-50 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
All by itself or with some So Delicious (dairy free) vanilla ice cream.