February 27, 2013
Winter is here; can you believe it? The bitter cold is settling in and that means we need hearty food to keep us warm. Of course, we also can’t forget those yummy sweets that also come with the season. To help you prepare for winter, every Wednesday we will post some delicious vegan recipes that will turn your season around and keep your palate asking for more. Enjoy!
Who doesn’t like a nice, slice of pizza? If you’re vegan, traditional pizza is something you can’t have, but thanks to The Healthy Voyager she has a healthy plant-based recipe that will satisfy vegans and all pizza lovers. Check it out!
Sweet Potato Flatbread
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (skinned, cooked and mashed) (If you’d like to use cauliflower, use florets from 1 head of cauliflower, “riced” in a food processor)
- 1 1/2 cups almond, quinoa or chickpea flour
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 4 tablespoons water until gel-like)
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well until fully incorporated.
- Coat a foil lined pizza pan or baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray .
- Using a spatula, spread the dough evenly into a large circle if using a pizza pan about 1/2 inch thick, or a rectangle if using the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes until center is firm and edges are lightly browned.
- Remove crust from oven, if making pizza, add toppings of choice, and bake for another 5-7 minutes. If using as crostini or breadsticks, remove from oven, brush with herbed olive oil or vegan butter, cut into slices or wedges, and bake for an additional 3 minutes.