March 13, 2013
Spring is right around the corner! Soon, the sun will be shining, the birds will be chirping and the flowers will be blooming. This season is such a happy time, especially for us that live through harsh winters. To get you in the spring mood, each week we will be posting some of our favorite vegan spring recipes. Not only are these dishes delicious and healthy, but will make your season that much more delightful.
Are you feeling Italian? Then, these vegan lasagna rolls from The Healthy Voyager are perfect for you. These make the perfect dinner, and definitely vary from your traditional Italian meal. Yum!
Cauliflower Ricotta “Cheese” Lasagna Rolls
1 head of stemmed and riced cauliflower (cut off florets and pulse in food processor until cauliflower resembles rice, careful not to puree)
1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 box cooked lasagna noodles (gluten free, if desired)
Pasta sauce of choice
1 cup sauteed mushrooms
1 1/2 cups sauteed spinach
To make the cheese:
Place the “riced” cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 7-8 minutes (do not add water). Add in remaining ingredients until fully incorporated. Season to taste.
To assemble to rolls:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a thin layer of pasta sauce to bottom of the lasagna baking pan to prevent rolls from sticking, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Mix mushrooms and spinach into the ricotta cheese mixture until fully incorporated.
- Take a lasagna noodle and spoon a heaping spoonful of the ricotta filling mixture onto it. Spread evenly onto noodle and then roll fairly tightly into a tube. Place the noodle into the pan and repeat until all noodles are in the pan. Once you have made 1 layer of rolls, pour sauce on top so the next layer of noodles doesn’t stick. Top all rolls, once done, with more pasta sauce and shredded cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or if cheese added, until cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve 2-4 rolls at a time with extra sauce, top with vegan parmesan and enjoy!