April 10, 2013
Spring is right around the corner! Soon, the sun will be shining, the birds will be chirping and the flowers will be blooming. This season is such a happy time, especially for us that live through harsh winters. To get you in the spring mood, each week we will be posting some of our favorite vegan spring recipes. Not only are these dishes delicious and healthy, but will make your season that much more delightful.
Here’s a great soup recipe from Marla Meridith at Family Fresh Cooking that’s full of hearty vegetables. It’s filled with all kinds of flavors including onion, garlic, pepper and curry. Your taste buds won’t be disappointed.
Zucchini Carrot Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Serving Size: 1 cup (8 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- a few chopped Garlic Cloves
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of Curry Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
- Bunch of Carrots coarsely chopped
- 4 Zucchini (about 1.5 pounds) coarsely chopped
- a few Celery Stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Vegetable Broth (or Chicken Broth) vary amount depending on how thick you want your soup
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt pepper and curry powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook mixture until fragrant and slightly browned about 10 minutes. Add zucchini & carrots. Stir into onion mixture and cook for about 10-15 minutes until veggies are softened a bit. Add 1 1/2 cups of broth and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Reserve the additional 1/2 cup of broth. Take pot off heat and let soup cool a bit. Put soup in a food processor or blender and purée until desired thickness is achieved. You can add the additional broth or water to thin out your soup if desired.
- Top with fresh herbs, non fat yogurt, low fat sour cream or salsa.
Photo Credit: Marla Meridith Photography
Marla Meridith is the creator, photographer, stylist and go to gal behind the blog Family Fresh Cooking. She believes in real, whole foods for a happy, healthy, high energy life. She is obsessed with her family, food, travel, and coffee. Look for her on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and StumbleUpon too.