January 15, 2014
Finding quick healthy recipes that are tasty and easy to prepare is a mission of the team here at Eco News Network. Today, we feature a favorite flatbread recipe featuring white beans, prosciutto, arugula, and cheese as part of our Quick Healthy Recipes series.
White Bean, Arugula, and Prosciutto Flatbreads
- 4 organic flatbreads or pocketless pita breads
- 1 15 ounce can of cannellini beans (rinse and drain)
- 1 handful per flatbread of organic baby arugula
- 2 ounces or about 8 slices of imported prosciutto (you can eliminate the prosciutto if desired)
- 2 cups of organic Gruyere, Fontina, or mixed Italian cheese
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon of Herbs de Provence
- Crushed garlic can be added if desired
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the broiler and elevate the oven rack to about 6-inches from the heat.
- Mash beans, red pepper flake, herbs, and prosciutto. Add 2 cloves crushed garlic if desired.
- Brush both sides of each flatbread with olive oil and cook in a skillet until brown on each side.
- Spread bean mixture on each flatbread and top with cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- Top with a handful of uncooked arugula after taking the flatbreads out of the oven.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Eat flat or fold up in your hand.
Photo Credit: MikaelF via Wikimedia Commons