July 22, 2015
Always on the prowl for easy and healthy recipes, this Eco News Network team favorite features whole grain orzo with spinach, tomato, and almonds in a healthy orzo salad recipe that’s quick to make and very delicious. With the farmers market season in full swing, be sure to get local spinach and tomatoes to make this healthy orzo salad recipe even more tasty.
Healthy Orzo Salad Recipe with Spinach, Tomato, and Almonds
• 1/2 lb uncooked whole grain orzo
• 4 cups organic baby spinach
• 1/2 cup diced organic fresh tomatoes or organic cherry tomatoes sliced in half
• 1/2 cup crumbled organic feta cheese
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 organic lemon or Meyer lemon, juiced
• ¼ cup slivered almonds
• Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Cook orzo until al dente (around 8 minutes). Do not overcook. Drain and rinse with cold water. Mix all ingredients except for almonds in a large bowl and toss until combined. Add cracked pepper to taste. Serve with the almonds sprinkled over the top or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, only adding almonds when ready to serve.
For a larger crowd you can double ingredients for this healthy orzo salad recipe.
To learn more about farmers markets and how to find them in your area click here.
Photo credit: Nillerdk via Wikimedia Commons