Boston will go green when the 10th Annual Boston GreenFest kicks off at Boston City Hall Plaza from August 11th through the 13th. Organized by the Foundation for a Green Future, Boston GreenFest is the largest free event of its kind in the region focused on educating and empowering people to create a more sustainable, healthier world.
“The 10th Annual Boston GreenFest is a celebration of our environmental progress and a call to action for communities, citizens and corporations committed to an even brighter future,” said Boston GreenFest Executive Director Karen Weber. “We can no longer wait for someone to tell us what to do to improve our world; we’re experiencing a crisis and we need to find the solutions ourselves. The answers are within reach and we applaud the many communities in and around Boston already making positive change worthy of celebration and recognition.
”The three-day festival transforms Boston City Hall Plaza into a fun interactive community classroom. Festival-goers can visit around 200 interactive exhibits including a Showcase of Innovation and Casa Latina.
Boston GreenFest scheduled events include:
- Live multicultural music and dance performances by local and international guests including a wonderful lineup of rock, world, folk, hip hop, rap, reggae, indie, and country artists. International guests include Mezzotono from Italy, Stormcellar from Australia, Chrycee from St. Lucia, along with dancers from India, Nepal, and Papua New Guinea.
- BostonGreenFilmFest will screen nine movies throughout the weekend touching on various environmental issues, followed by panel discussions.
- EcoForums at Faneuil Hall: discussions to include pertinent topics in sustainability including transportation, water, sustainable urban design, energy, green tech, health, local food economy, and more. Cindy Fitzgibbon of Channel 5 WCVB will moderate the “Designing Our Future” forum. Hours: Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Saturday & Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- EcoFashion Show under the direction of The House of Nahdra, will feature numerous local designers along with Nathalia JMag, recent finalist on Project Runway. This will highlight the importance of upcycling, recycling and sustainability in fashion.
- The International Youth Summit on Sunday, August 13th from 11 am to 1:30 pm at Faneuil Hall, will be held in honor of World Youth Day. Youth, ages 15-35, will come from all parts of the globe, to talk to each other about environmental problems they confront and think about innovative enterprising ways of solving them.
- EcoKids Center with: Robots, Science on the Street, Museum of Science, EcoArt, Making Vertical Walls, Pony Rides, Face Painting, Games, Inflatables, Mallakhamb Yoga, and more! Family Stage with a lineup of music, storytellers, children’s performers, dance and poetry.
- Free fitness mini-classes from our stage of Zumba, BollyX, and Yoga.
- Local Food Emporium with a selection of international cuisines, locally grown, locally prepared.
- Wine & Beer Garden with sustainable brews and a view of the Main Stage.
- EcoRide & Drive with KIA and others to try out an electric vehicle.
For more info visit www.bostongreenfest.org.
Photos provided by Let It Be Known PR for Boston GreenFest. Photo credits: Indian dancers photographer Darragh Dandurand; 2016 Sinha Capoeira photographer Olga Chernyatyeva